American Hospital of Paris
In 1906, Dr. Magnin and Mr. van Bergen create an association that is to become the American Hospital of Paris. Based in Neuilly-sur-Seine, today the hospital is renowned for high quality personalized care and the latest technology.
The beginning of the 20th century finds many American tourists, students, travelers, and expats in France. During the summer months, their numbers reach up to 100,000 in Paris alone.
1904: Dr. A.J. Magnin and one of his American friends, Harry Antony van Bergen, create an association whose name reveals an ambitious project – the American Hospital Association of Paris. This first association aims to offer expatriates access to American-trained doctors.
1906: Dr. Magnin, Mr. van Bergen and 7 respected members of the American community sign the founding act for the American Hospital of Paris.
July 1907: Thanks to initial donations, the chairman of the Board of Governors, John H. Harjes, signs the deed to a property in Neuilly-sur-Seine.
October 28, 1909: The US Ambassador to France, Henry White, and the Minister of Public Education and future president of the Republic, Gaston Doumergue, inaugurate the new, 24-bed hospital.
January 30, 1913: The United States Congress in Washington officially recognizes the American Hospital of Paris, granting it federal status. This status allows the Hospital to accept donations and bequests.
1914: Hospital opens its own nursing school, which remains open until 1930. Classes are taught in English to nursing students from all over Europe and America.
1914 - 1918: The Hospital establishes a volunteer ambulance service staffed by American doctors, surgeons and nurses. The ambulance service helps over 10,000 allied soldiers. A nearby school, the Lycée Pasteur of Neuilly-sur-Seine, is transformed into a temporary hospital and serves as a base for the ambulance service.
March 19, 1918: To thank the hospital for services rendered to wartime France, the French Government decrees “that the American Hospital of Paris be recognized as an institution of public benefit”. A second decree, signed by Raymond Poincaré, authorizes the hospital to receive donations and bequests under French law.
1920 - 1926: With only 24 beds, the hospital quickly became too cramped. New buildings, upgrades and improved medical equipment were needed. Thanks to numerous American and French donors, a new hospital was built, equipped with 120 beds. Dedicated to the victims and volunteers of World War I, it was named the Memorial Building.
1939 - 1945: The American Hospital of Paris was converted into a military hospital once again. Under the banner of the Red Cross, it provided care to civilian and military patients. It was mentioned in the despatches of the French Army and awarded the French Croix de Guerre war medal.
1949 - 1953: After the war, the hospital again needs upgrading. American assistance through the Marshall Plan, as well as private donations, allow the Hospital to make radical improvements in its medical facilities. A pathology department, a laboratory and a radiology service are introduced, and 125 nurses join the staff.
September 1954: The Joint Commission accredits the American Hospital of Paris. We are the only civilian hospital outside of the U.S. that can boast this recognition, still true today.
1960-1968: The generosity of a number of private and corporate donors makes possible the construction of the Eisenhower wing. It houses 16 new patient rooms, doctor’s offices, and the nuclear medicine imaging department. The radiology department is also modernized at this time.
March 30, 1976: The American Hospital Foundation is incorporated in Washington, D.C., although it is based in New York. The Foundation’s mission is to support the work of the Hospital and raise private funding in the U.S.
1979 - 1989: The Hospital opens several departments and invests in new medical equipment:
[Translate to en:] 1914 - 1918 : l'hôpital met en place un service d'ambulances, entièrement assuré par des bénévoles américains (médecins, chirurgiens, infirmières). Ce service porte assistance à plus de 10 000 soldats alliés. Situé à proximité de l'hôpital, le lycée Pasteur de Neuilly-sur-Seine est transformé en hôpital provisoire et constitue le point de rattachement des ambulances.
19 mars 1918 : pour remercier l'hôpital de ses services rendus à la France, le Conseil d'État déclare par décret : « L'œuvre dite, The American Hospital of Paris est reconnue comme établissement d'utilité publique ». Un second décret, signé par Raymond Poincaré, autorise l'hôpital à recevoir dons et legs au regard de la loi française.