An identity forged by generosity
Founding of the American Hospital of Paris
The United States Congress grants the American Hospital of Paris federal status.
To thank the hospital for services rendered to wartime France, the French Government decrees “that the American Hospital of Paris be recognized as an institution of public benefit” and authorizes the hospital to receive donations and bequests under French law.
The Joint Commission accredits the American Hospital of Paris. We are the only civilian hospital outside of the U.S. that can boast this recognition, still true today.
1904 -1904 – 1914: Beginnings
1904: Dr. A.J. Magnin and one of his American friends, Harry Antony van Bergen, create an association whose name reveals an ambitious project – the American Hospital Association of Paris. This first association aims to offer expatriates access to American-trained doctors.
1906: Dr. Magnin, Mr. van Bergen and 7 respected members of the American community sign the founding act for the American Hospital of Paris.
July 1907: Thanks to initial donations, the chairman of the Board of Governors, John H. Harjes, signs the deed to a property in Neuilly-sur-Seine.
October 28, 1909: The US Ambassador to France, Henry White, and the Minister of Public Education and future president of the Republic, Gaston Doumergue, inaugurate the new, 24-bed hospital.
January 30, 1913: The United States Congress in Washington officially recognizes the American Hospital of Paris, granting it federal status. This status allows the Hospital to accept donations and bequests.
1914: Hospital opens its own nursing school, which remains open until 1930. Classes are taught in English to nursing students from all over Europe and America.
The American Hospital of Paris during the Great War
1945 – 1970: Joint Commission accreditation
1949 - 1953: After the war, the hospital again needs upgrading. American assistance through the Marshall Plan, as well as private donations, allow the Hospital to make radical improvements in its medical facilities. A pathology department, a laboratory and a radiology service are introduced, and 125 nurses join the staff.
September 1954: The Joint Commission accredits the American Hospital of Paris. We are the only civilian hospital outside of the U.S. that can boast this recognition, still true today.
1960-1968: The generosity of a number of private and corporate donors makes possible the construction of the Eisenhower wing. It houses 16 new patient rooms, doctor’s offices, and the nuclear medicine imaging department. The radiology department is also modernized at this time.
1970 – 2000: Development continues
1979 - 1989: The Hospital opens several departments and invests in new medical equipment:
- New wing opened containing 74 beds and a multi-disciplinary Outpatient Department
- Maternity Unit renovated, and the Medically Assisted Procreation (in vitro fertilization) and Prenatal Diagnostic Centers created
- New diagnostic and treatment systems implemented, including magnetic resonance (MRI), digital angiography, and others
- Outpatient clinic and Emergency services established
Incorporation of the American Hospital Foundation
The American Hospital Foundation is incorporated in Washington, D.C., although it is based in New York. The Foundation’s mission is to support the work of the Hospital and raise private funding in the U.S.
2000 - today: Cutting-edge technology through generous donations
2001 – 2006: The Hospital launches 2 major projects:
- Renovation and development of American Hospital of Paris medical/surgical units and Check-up Center
- Construction of new operating rooms with increased surface area and latest technological innovations
The American Hospital of Paris continues to develop ancillary services:
- Purchase of latest generation MRI scanner
- Creation of an ultra-modern Imaging Center dedicated to early diagnosis of breast cancer
- Complete update of cardiology imaging equipment
2004: The Board of Governors adopts a new strategic plan for the American Hospital of Paris that defines the 5 major development priorities for the Hospital over the next ten years.
2006: The American Hospital of Paris celebrates its Centennial year.
2007: A state-of-the-art Dialysis Center opens its doors and the new Maternity Unit is inaugurated.
2009: Thanks to donor support, the Hospital is able to purchase the latest generation PET/CT scanner and the most advanced version of the da Vinci SI® Surgical System (robotic assisted surgery platform).
2010: The Hospital opens a new wing of 14 fully renovated premium comfort rooms on the 5th floor of the main building.